Past Events - 2018
1. Workshop on Climate Change Adaptation for Field Officers and Farmer Representatives in Giants Tank area in Mannar District
Date: 25th June 2018 @ Farmer Training / Meeting Centre, Uyliankulam
A Climate Change Adaptation for Field Officers and Farmer Representatives in Giants Tank area in Mannar District was held at Farmer Training Centre, Uyliankulam on 25th June 2018 for 63 Farmer Leaders. The programme was organized by SLWP in collaboration with Cap-Net Lanka. Resource Persons were, from Cap-Net Lanka, ( Dr S Pathmarajah, Dept. of Agric. Engineering, FOA, UOP, Mr. Ranjith Rathnayake,SLWAP, Mr. UG Abeygunawardena, SLWP.
2. Meeting with Visiting Foreign WASH Team
Date: 17th July 2018 @ Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, Sri Lanka.
Dr. Shanon Marques, Vice Provost, Drexel University, Philadelpia, Emmanuel Opong, Regional Director of World Vision International (WASH) and Ms. Dhammika Peiris, Technical Advisor (WASH), World Vision Lanka visited the Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture (PGIA) on the 17thof July 2018 to discuss the possibility of having joint training and research programs with Cap-Net Lanka at PGIA. The Director/PGI, relevant senior academics and postgraduate students of IWRM participated in the discussion coordinated by Country Coordinator/Cap-Net Lanka. At the end, it was agreed to see the possibility for PGIA and Drexel University to enter into an MOU which will include Cap-Net Lanka and World Vision Lanka as collaborators
3. Workshop on Climate Change Adaptation for Field Officers and Farmer Representatives in Allai Scheme in Trincomalee
Date: 10th September 2018 @ Muthur PDS Hall
The second programme was held at Muthur Divisional Secretariat Conference Hall on the 10th September 2018 for Officers and Farmer Leaders of Allai Scheme. The Programme was organized by SLWP in collaboration with Cap Net Lanka, Irrigation Management Division of the Ministry of Irrigation, Irrigation Department and Agriculture Department. 74 Participants included 33 officers from the line agencies working in the scheme and the rest FO leaders . Resource Persons were from Capnet Lanka ( Dr S Pathmarajah) , FCRDI Maha Illuplallama (Dr N S Nijamudeen) and Irrigation Department ( Eng K Akilan).,
4. On-Farm Water Management Training for Farmer Organization (FO) Leaders
Date: 08th October 2018 @ Jaffna District and
Date: 09th October 2018 @ Kilinochchi Distirct
A training workshop on “ On-Farm Water Management Training for Farmer Organization (FO) Leaders” were held on 8th October 2018 at “Agri-Training Centre, Thirunelveli” and on 9th October at “Coop Council Hall, Kilinochchi”Objectives of the activity were,
• To make the farmers aware of the issues associated with their current practices (excessive water and fertilizer use, water pollution, etc.)
• To educate them on irrigation water demand estimation
• To make them aware of the advance techniques like drip and sprinkler irrigation systems and the advantages in using those systemsThe programme Included,
Course Agenda was,
• Soil-plant-water relationships
• Climate and climate change
• Crop water requirements
• Farm water requirements as affected by method of irrigation and management practices
• Groundwater availability and vulnerability
Resource Persons were University teachers, officers from the Department of Agriculture and a private companyActivity was coordinated by Dr. S. Pathmarajah, Country Coordinator, Cap-Net Lanka
5. Cap-Net Lanka_PGIA Junior Water Awards & Aqua Republica and Cap-Net Lanka Water Forum
Date: 01th October 2018 @ Appadurai Auditorium, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya
Cap-Net Lanka Water Forum and Junior Water Awards ceremony was held on 1 October 2018 in University of Peradeniya. Winning projects from schools of two districts were announced and the children presented their projects to the wider audience comprised of water professionals from various water related institutions in Sri Lanka.
Mr. Pablo Orams, Senior Project Officer, International Water Centre, Queensland, Australia and Mr Steve Attard, AgriTech Solutions, Australia graced the occasion sharing their experiences and capacity building efforts.
6. MELP Programme on Capacity Development of the farmer leaders in medium irrigation schemes empowering them on participatory decision making
Date: 17th September 2018 @ Irrigation Department, Wariyapola, Kurunegala
MELP Evaluation programme was held at the Irrigation Department, Wariyapola, Kurunegala on 17th September 2018 for farmer leaders and total of 29 participants were participated for the programme.Activity was coordinated by Dr. S. Pathmarajah, Country Coordinator, Cap-Net Lanka and Resource Persons were Mr. UG Abeygunawardena, SLWP and Mr. Dissanayake, former DD (Provincial Dept. of Agriculture, NWP.
7. Mr. Dimuthu Daluwatte appointed as focal point for compiling outcomes and impacts by Cap-Net affiliated networks
Cap-Net Lanka was selected to take the leading role in compiling outcomes and impacts of various capacity development programmes conducted by all the Cap-Net affiliated networks during 2017. Cap-Net Lanka has appointed one of his members Dimuthu Daluwatte as focal point for this task and he will be working closely with the global secretariat to document outcomes and impacts of the Cap-Net programme.
Dimuthu has a BSc in Fisheries and Marine Sciences at University of Ruhuna and currently reading for post-graduate in Water and Sanitation at University of Jaffna. He is currently serving World Vision Lanka as a programme coordinator, therefore he brings his professional and community level project experiences in support of MELP execution at Cap-Net.
Dimuthu can be reached on his Cap-Net email email@example.com.
8. Training Workshops on on-farm Water Management
Date: 7th September 2018, 30th September 2018
9. Institutional and Management Capacity Development of Farmer Leaders in Medium / Major Irrigation Schemes to cope with Climate Change
Date: June to August 2018
10. Cap-Net Lanka - PGIAJunior Water Awards for Innovations and Knowledge Management (Aqua Republica) – 2018
Date: 1st October 2018